The Highland Games is a family friendly event which features traditional Scottish music, traditional Scottish sporting events, and is basically a celebration of all things Scottish. For residents and those who live here part time and own beautiful NC mountain homes, the Highland Games is a wonderful event to attend and even take part in. Many of the properties and Banner Elk Real Estate listings we list are in and around the Grandfather and Linville communities. Take a moment and browse the Banner Elk NC Real Estate we have listed.
The 53rd Annual Highland Games at Grandfather Mountain will be held again July 10-13 at MacRae Meadows on beautiful Grandfather Mountain. Located in Linville, North Carolina in Avery County, this is the granddaddy of all American Scottish Games celebrations. People from all over the world attend this event year after year to enjoy the multitude of events.
- The Bear: Assault on Grandfather a foot race which begins at the town of Linville and culminates at the summit of Grandfather mountain, a grueling climb of 1,568 in elevation. 800 contestants vie for the title.
- The Grizzly Bike Race a grueling race up the mountain.
- Grandfather Mountain Highland Games Scottish Country Dance Gala Held at Williams Gymnasium at Lees-McRae College.
- Mountain Marathon ) Reputed to be one of, if not THE toughest marathon in the nation.
- Grandfather Mountain Highland Games Piping Concert Held at the Trillium Room, Broyhill Inn and Conference Center in Boone, North Carolina.
- Grandfather Mountain Highland Games Ceilidh Concert a presentation of Scottish folk music, singing and dancing held at Hayes Auditorium, Lees-McRae College located in Banner Elk, North Carolina.
These are only a few of the myriad of activities taking place at the Grandfather Highland Games. Whether you are visiting Blowing Rock, Boone, Banner Elk or anywhere in the High Country area of North Carolina, the Grandfather Highland Games is a great family event.